Support for Areas across England and Wales to raise levels of Awareness and Access to Restorative Justice
RJ Working CIC, based in the South West, works with others to promote and develop Restorative Justice and Restorative Practices.
We have designed a flexible events package for running local workshops/conferences anywhere in England and Wales. This supports RJ reaching a wider public and stakeholders outside the Criminal Justice System.
The package includes adaptable tools for generating commitment in advance of events and maintaining commitment afterwards. Areas can make it their own depending on their stage of Restorative Justice development and who is involved. Central are two different Leadership Workshops for strategic and grassroots leadership roles, which interactively tackle two questions:
- How can we increase awareness of RJ benefits for victims and the organisations that support them?
- How can we increase access to RJ for victims of crime?
This work has been sponsored by the Ministry of Justice and funded through the victims surcharge. Consequently, this project focuses specifically on the benefits of RJ for victims, within the ‘balanced model’ that we promote. Looking at the needs of victims from outside the Criminal Justice System generates new pathways into Restorative Justice to make a significant contribution to the health and well being of those harmed.
- Guidance notes re engagement of target participants
- Suggested participants and contributors
Event session plans
- Pre-event survey of participant knowledge and understanding of RJ
- Post-event survey to maintain commitment and demonstrate conference impact
- Event support templates: eg invitations, badges, sign in sheets
6 benefits for victims at the time of the RJ communication
6 longer-term RJ benefits for victims
- DVD resources:
Purpose produced animated films narrated by popular and influential actors, such as Dawn French and Jenny Agutter
Film clips of award winning play After the Accident, by Julian Armistead, performed by cube theatre – created to generate discussion about specific aspects of RJ
- Powerpoint presentations
- Template for Event Report to be populated by local photographs, presentations and statistics
- Suggested follow-up actions
For further information please contact Hannah Stephens, firstname.lastname@example.org.